I've asked God for big things before. I've prayed for him to heal my father of heart disease, deliver a family member from drug addiction, and let me marry a wonderful Christian woman. I've prayed for Him to supply our ministry with financial miracles and to let me meet Billy Graham. But I've never prayed for anything quite this crazy.
I am asking God to save 3,000 people this weekend at NewSpring Church.
Here are the reasons why I am praying for this.
1. I want everyone to know the love and grace of Jesus Christ. How much do you have to hate someone to be a Christian, and NOT want them to be a Christian, too? My desire is for everyone on the planet to experience the abundant life that Jesus offers.
2. I believe that God wants to save 3,000 people. As a matter of fact, I believe that He wants to save way more than that. The Bible tells us in 2 Peter 3:9 that it's not God's will that anyone perish, but that all would come to repentance. That's a hard verse to argue with.
3. In my homestate of South Carolina, it is estimated that between 65-70% of the population isn't part of a church. While only God truly knows those who belong to Him, it seems as if there are literally millions of people just in South Carolina who need forgiveness of sin, a new start, and a relationship with Jesus. Shouldn't the church care about their souls?
4. I am called by God to be an evangelist (Ephesians 4:11). Since the age of 14, I have dedicated my life to preaching the gospel. I have never saved anyone. Only God does that. But my gift is to proclaim the gospel and call people to repent of sin and trust Christ. What evangelist wouldn't want to see 3,000 people begin a journey of faith?
5. It happened in the early church. Acts 2:41 says "Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about 3,000 were added to their number that day." Someone was counting that day. The church rejoiced at that great number who were saved. Some sort of invitation was given and new believers were baptized. That miraculous response was recorded in scripture. I want to see that happen again for the glory of God.
In 1987, I fell to my knees in a small church in Greer, SC and gave my life to Jesus. That very night I sensed God calling me to preach the gospel. I have prayed and dreamed of the day when I would see Acts 2:41 happen again. I am praying, asking, begging, interceding, and believing that it will happen this weekend. Will you join me in this crazy prayer?